Medira is a Cambridge company specialising in tissue regenerative biomaterials. Biological facilitation of tissue regeneration and wound healing addresses a growing trend.
Medira passionately supports this growing need and is delighted to make available our superior and unique natural, safe and highly effective range of products. Our product range includes:
- Cellenis Platelet Rich Plasma and Platelet Rich Fibrin Matrix
- Type I range of fibrillated collagen dressings
Unlike natural materials, many synthetic advanced wound dressings, lack the functionality to promote a desirable biological response.
Collagen is available today in thousands of different products from skin creams to synthetic skin substitutes. It has been used safely and economically for many years in the health care field and is relatively easy to obtain today.
Medira is delighted to have a collagen biomaterial derived from a Piscean source. A little known fact is that the amino acids hydroxyproline and proline, present in human Type I collagen, are also present in the Piscean Type I collagen molecule.
Medira’s Piscean collagen dressings are highly biocompatible and immunogenic, removing all risk associated with bovine collagen (Pati et al 2012)
Type I collagen from a Piscean source:
A recently published paper provides the first scientific evidence from a pre-clinical setting using a porcine model, to explain how a Type I collagen dressing may improve wound closure by targeting multiple key mechanisms. (Elgharably 2013)
- Type I collagen served as a neutrophil chemotactic factor, recruiting large number of neutrophils to the wound
- Increased macrophage infiltration
- Significant increase in endothelial cell abundance
- Cell receptors on the triple helix collagen molecule provide a scaffold for cellular attachment eg fibroblasts
- Upregulation of collagen Type I gene expression and a significantly increased TypeI:III ratio – this could have significance for the tensile strength of the healed wound and scarring
- Increased size of rete ridges demonstrating improved quality of closure
These findings support the outcomes clinicians observe using the Type I dressing range.
Medira’s unique range of Type I wound dressings have been listed on the 2013/2014 NHS High Impact Innovation catalogue, linked to the DOH Health, Wealth and Innovation Programme.